Sustainable Development Interlinkages and Management
What are the synergies and trade-offs across the sustainable development goals? How can we most effectively meet all of the goals?
While energy projects and policies may have large repercussions on many societal aspects, stakeholders have limited access to the knowledge for mitigating those impacts across disciplines. Conversely, with only ten years remaining until 2030, much more ambitious transformation is necessary to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. This research area adds to the knowledge on how to manage and act on synergies and trade-offs among energy and the SDGs.
Main research objectives
- Methods and applications investigating interlinkages among SDGs
- Map the scientific evidence concerning the interlinkages between energy projects and programmes and the 169 targets in 17 SDGs of the 2030 Agenda.
- Development of tools to facilitate access to informations on synergies and trade-offs between energy and the SDGs
- Exploring possible actions to capitalize on synergies and avoid trade-offs between energy projects and policies and the SDGs
- Enable policy harmonization with the SDGs
We use stakeholder and expert elicitation, in combination with a set of qualitative and quantitative methods. Since the creation of the SDGs a new field of research was created to assess how different goals can be achieved synergetically, avoiding sectorial trade-offs. These include a variety of qualitative and quantitative approaches. at KTH we led some of the most influential studies including assessing how energy, climate action and AI may affect the delivery of each of the SDGs Targets. This mapping will also include transboundary spillover effects.
- Fuso Nerini, F.; Tomei, J.; To, L.S.; Bisaga, I.; Parikh, P.; Black, M.; Borrion, A.; Spataru, C.; Broto, V.C.; Anandarajah, G.; et al. Mapping synergies and trade-offs between energy and the Sustainable Development Goals. Nature Energy 2017, 3, 10–15.
- Fuso Nerini, F.; Hughes, N.; Cozzi, L.; Cosgrave, E.; Howells, M.; Sovacool, B.; Tavoni, M.; Tomei, J.; Zerriffi, H.; Milligan, B. Use SDGs to guide climate action. Nature 2018, 557.
- Fuso Nerini, F.; Sovacool, B.; Hughes, N.; Cozzi, L.; Cosgrave, E.; Howells, M.; Tavoni, M.; Tomei, J.; Zerriffi, H.; Milligan, B. Connecting climate action with other Sustainable Development Goals. Nature Sustainability 2019, 1
- Vinuesa, R.; Azizpour, H.; Leite, I.; Balaam, M.; Dignum, V.; Domisch, S.; Felländer, A.; Langhans, S.D.; Tegmark, M.; Fuso Nerini, F. The role of artificial intelligence in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Nature Communications 2020, 11.
- Castor, J.; Bacha, K.; Fuso Nerini, F. SDGs in action: A novel framework for assessing energy projects against the sustainable development goals. Energy Research and Social Sciences 2020, 68, 101556.
- Fuldauer, L.I., Thacker, S., Haggis, R.A. Fuso Nerini, F,. et al. Targeting climate adaptation to safeguard and advance the Sustainable Development Goals. Nature Commun. 13, 3579 (2022). doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-31202-w
- Leite de Almeida, C.M., Bergqvist, E., Thacker, S. Fuso Nerini F. Actions to align energy projects with the Sustainable Development Goals. Discov Sustain 2, 16 (2021). doi.org/10.1007/s43621-021-00020-3
- Thacker, S., Adshead, D., Fay, M., Hallegatte, S., Harvey, M., Meller, H., et al. (2019). Infrastructure for sustainable development. Nature Sustainability, 2(4), 324– 331. doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0256-8